This famous bright-red Hungarian soup is prepared with fish, bell peppers, tomatoes and spicy paprika.
Serving Size: 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Caraway Seed, crushed
- 1 container (32 ounces) Kitchen Basics® Original Chicken Stock
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Gourmet™ Paprika, Hot Hungarian
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 2 McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Bay Leaves, Turkish
- 1 pound firm white fish fillets, such as catfish, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Melt butter in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and caraway seed; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, potatoes, paprika, sea salt and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in fish and shrimp. Simmer 5 minutes or just until shrimp are pink. Remove bay leaves before serving. Ladle into soup bowls.
Crush caraway seed with mortar and pestle. Or, place caraway seed in small resealable plastic bag. Close tightly. Pound with a rolling pin, mallet or heavy skillet until crushed.
(Amount per serving)
- Calories: 132Cholesterol: 79mg
- Sodium: 589mgProtein: 14g
- Total Fat: 4gFiber: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 10g