Popovic's Jiggy Fly

Home Forums Fly Fishing Forum Popovic's Jiggy Fly

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hook I 2 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author
    Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Also by Steve Gibson

colonole1
    Participant

Well, thats a stumper. I can’t be sure from the photo but it looks like the “eyes” are tied on the under-side of the hook; meaning it would ride hook-point down. Illusion?

Without taking anything away from Popovics I guarantee that countless tiers have come up with very similar ties (inclding me)–in my case in the quest for a very fast sinker for strong current that would also be resistant to drifting grass.

It would surely be bullet proof, looking at the materials used and the technique. The epoxy completely covers all the body components at the tie-in point. Thats very important on toothy species which, when they destroy a fly almost always unravel it starting at the point they can gain “purchase” with their teeth.

I like its sparseness, and im betting you could really fish it deep.

Hook I
    Participant

It might be a resemblance but don’t look like a Pop Jiggy from this photo . I like the way the fibers are tied above the hook .

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

I just go by what I read.    Maybe Steve will see this and comment

Capt. Pat Damico
    Capt. Pat Damico
    Participant

The material is on the point side of the hook and will determine how the fly rides, point up!

Hook I
      Participant

Capt. Pat you still doing charters out of St Pete Beach ?

Hook I
    Participant

^^^ just got off the phone w/ you & email sent

colonole1
    Participant

I dont know Capt Pat. Depends on the weight of the eyes too. I’d guess if they are beads, it probably rides point up; pt down if lead. But if I’m misseeing it, and the eyes are on “top,” it surely wld ride pt up. I fish a lot of my version of this (without the bullet-head) on trout-size jig hooks, and they are really good in weeds.

Hook I
    Participant

I did not want to put my nose into a conversation , 2 old fly rodders were talking the ole days of ” the Lizard Flats ” in Tampa Bay  . Anyone know these flats ? or have fished these waters ? Where is it ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.