Reader email: Peacock Bass

Home Forums Freshwater Forum Reader email: Peacock Bass

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Neil Taylor Neil Taylor 2 months ago.

• Author
    Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

My son likes to fish all of the sudden and while we have done a lot, he keeps coming up with new ideas.  One is Peacock bass.     I figured I would just ask you how to approach this one.     I know that “south” is the theme but know very little else.     Can you get some more feedback from your people (I still haven’t gotten my password thing resolved for capmel.com)

Ed

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Ed,

Not my forte.   I’ve done it.  You are right: You have to go south.  Hours south   The ones I caught were right next to the road (US 41).    I didn’t get any advice, I just fished them.   They were pretty eager to eat anything I put in front of them.   It was fun.  I wouldn’t go all the way down there intentially just to catch them but I’m glad I did it.

DWaiberman
    DWaiberman
    Participant

I love to fish for peacock bass. I go down to Miami and launch from Antonio Maceo Park
    5135 NW 7th St, Miami, FL 33126. To the right I have caught largemouth and peacock. Go through the canals for peacocks. Bladed baits and spinnerbaits work best or you can find live shiners under a cork. Good luck and tight lines.
    Donald.

DWaiberman
    DWaiberman
    Participant

Fish near shore and find structure, like bridge pilings.

delta9
    delta9
    Participant

Broward and Dade counties have the biggest population, but you don’t necessarily have to go all the way south to Miami.  Palm Beach & Collier both have small populations of peacocks but you’re going to make it a lot easier by going to Broward or Dade.  Broward seems to hold the slobs now a days, but Miami and further south have huge numbers of smaller fish.

I personally like throwing a fly to visible fish on the banks.  If you want to catch a high number of fish, I would fish live shiners free lined.  Peacocks like to hang out sometimes in deeper water and around or in strucutres.  Looking for culverts and casting into them will get you fish 9 times out 10.

As far as spots go, the peacocks are pretty much everywhere now a days.  If you take the Alley over there is a canal on the east side of US 27 just to the north of 75.  There are typically good numbers of fish in there and if you walk along the bank where the canal turns and runs east,  you’ll get shots at tarpon too.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

There you have it.  Way more input than I could ever provide.    Thanks for helping out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.