Reader email: Ramp improvements

Home Forums Outside the Channel Reader email: Ramp improvements

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by delta9 delta9 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Hey, thanks for keeping the site going.

Question.   If there are boat ramps, obviously publicly owned, what are the rules on citizens taking it in their own hands for improvements?   Curious because I could buy $8 worth of cement and make an improvement that would benefit all ramp users for years.

Should I inquire with the city?  The county?   Should I just do it?   While I don’t want to get in trouble doing something I would like to see little repairs like this done so that the facilities are better.

Thanks for your time.

barrynfla
    barrynfla
    Participant

Personally, I wouldn’t take it upon myself to do anything to a ramp without speaking with the governing agency first. Liability issues must be addressed.

The worst that can happen is no action being taken, but, at least, they are aware of the problem.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

That’s good advice.   Better not to do things without permission.   There are kayak launch locations.  Because I use them more than anyone else in the world, county representatives have told me to take some liberties.  This is a little different than your situation.  I would say Barry’s right.   I wouldn’t do anything without some input first.   Hopefully they cut you loose to do it and maybe even reimburse you for it.

delta9
    delta9
    Participant

I would agree with Barry as well.

Although back in the day, there were a few of us that made “improvements” to the Mobbly Bayou ramp.  That was of course when it was a dirt ramp before the City paved it and added the floating dock.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Today would be a great day to get something done. City of Safety Harbor, missed opportunity.  They could get a bulldozer down there today.  This is half an hour ago.

Chris
    Participant

Good example of what happens when people power load their boats.

delta9
      delta9
      Participant

100% correct..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.