Recipe ideas for speckled trout??

Home Forums "Top Picks" Recipe ideas for speckled trout??

This topic contains 46 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by ntaylor ntaylor 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

At the request of one new forum member who has been catching and eating a few trout since she got into kayak fishing this year:
    do you have a good recipe for trout? They taste like bass, to me.”

It is a good topic.
    Do you like to eat trout? What do you do to trout to have the best taste for the dinner table?

I told her that I thought it would be best to get input from others who have probably done things with trout I haven’t.

Post away on your recipe ideas for speckled trout!

Neil

delta9
    delta9
    Participant

You can’t go wrong with a fresh trout fried in corn meal. It’s also good to use in fish tacos. Here’s an easy one using trout fillets.

-Place trout fillets in a lightly greased baking dish.
    -Season with salt, pepper, and adobo seasoning.
    -Place in 350 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes or until it starts to flake. (starts being the keyword, you don’t want it to fall completely apart.)
    -In a mixing bowl, shred some cabbage and red cabbage.
    -Add cilantro and lime juice to cabbage and mix.

Place fish in a tortilla, add some of the “slaw”, then add your favorite salsa (or homemade if you have the time) and waalaa, you’ve got some tasty fish tacos!

Todd Krohn

Simple & Tasty Trout Recipe

Rinse & Dry Trout fillets, check for bones
    Coat fillets lightly with olive oil
    Season with fresh cracked pepper
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Italian spice blend
    Lite sprinkle – Old Bay

Pre-heat frying pan, coat pan lightly with olive oil
    Just before oil begins to smoke, place fillets in pan
    Cook to 70% on one side, flip and turn off heat
    Rest trout for one minute, will be crispy golden brown on outside – moist on inside
    Place pad or two butter in pan, let melt to deglaze pan drippings
    Plate fillets, pour butter seasoning glaze over top of fillets

Enjoy with Coca-Cola Carrots and Zatarans Red Beans & Rice +
    Ice Cold Ones or Two’s or Three’s

GFC

John
    John
    Participant

X2 Fish Tacos….

Mean! I want some of this.

Anyone ever just skillet top them with a full stick of butter? Real butter not I Cant Believe They Make This stuff? Boiling hot in a pan of BUTTA!

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

MrJingles wrote: Mean! I want some of this.

Anyone ever just skillet top them with a full stick of butter? Real butter not I Cant Believe They Make This stuff? Boiling hot in a pan of BUTTA!

Not a whole stick but a lot of it. Boiling butter is a great flavor. I hesitate to tell you: I use fake butter sometimes.

I am becoming a big fan of capers as a topping for just about any fish, but it adds something to trout for sure.

I used to also use the Broiler in the over to dry them out a little more after they baked a while. I used to go “bare basics” with speckled trout by putting them in the oven with just lemon pepper on them. That’s good but like I said before: I like to get creative with them.

Coconut oil and Curry. Garlic, Tomato and Capers. Panko; or Italian bread crumbs…. Ooooh.

Real easy one here.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Put fillets in a greased baking pan or dish. (Pam works fine but use a lot).
    In a bowl, combine 1/3 cup mayo, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, 1/3 cup of finely minced onion, 1/4 cup of grated parmesan or romano cheese, tablespoon of lemon juice, about a 1/2 teaspoon of Old Bay, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Mix well. It should form a pretty thick paste. Spread evenly over the fillets then sprinkle 1/2 cup of bread crumbs on top. I like Progresso Italian seasoned crumbs.

Bake for about 10 minutes until the fish is flaky. Time depends on how thick your fillets are but for trout, 10 minutes is about right. Finish by putting under the broiler for 2 or 3 minutes until golden brown on top.

David Money

FIlet the trout leave the skin and scales on . Put in ice water in the refrigerator until ready to use the same day.

Preheat broiler (in the oven) to 450 deg. Remove trout from ice water and pat dry with paper towel. Sprinke Lemon/garlic seasoning over the white meat. Lightly salt. Spray with olive oil just to set the seasoning.

Broil until flaky. Serve on wood plank or hot plate. garnish with parsley leaves. Sprinkle a little paprika and serve.

Tried and true. Meat will flake off skin. Serve with your favorite sides.

Andy Greene

Dip boneless skinless fillets in egg/beer batter.
    Dip in Andy’s hot seasoning/Italian bread crumbs- light flour.
    Add pepper/Everglades hot/garlic salt to suit.
    Dip boneless skinless fillets in egg/beer batter and cover with breading.
    Place breaded fillets in fridge while oil heats.
    Re-dip fillets in breading prior to frying and cook till they float.
    Watch the line form for more……..

leave the skin on
    heat the grill
    season to your liking I like everglades
    melt some butter pour over meat while cooking
    when edges of skin become charred,its done
    sprinkle brown sugar over the meat (from Greg DeVault)
    close lid
    count to 20
    open lid
    slide meat off skin and serve

delta9
    delta9
    Participant

capttim wrote: leave the skin on<br />heat the grill<br />season to your liking I like everglades<br />melt some butter pour over meat while cooking<br />when edges of skin become charred,its done<br />sprinkle brown sugar over the meat (from Greg DeVault)<br />close lid<br />count to 20<br />open lid<br />slide meat off skin and serve

Brown sugar?!?! Who woulda thunk…I’m going to have to try that sometime.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

I’ve used Brown sugar on salmon rubs, but it would work on trout too. In the salmon rubs it’s high heat on a cast iron skillet and it practically makes a candy shell out of the brown sugar.

delta9
    delta9
    Participant

LivelyBaits wrote: I’ve used Brown sugar on salmon rubs, but it would work on trout too. In the salmon rubs it’s high heat on a cast iron skillet and it practically makes a candy shell out of the brown sugar.

I’ve never thought about it like that. I’ll second your capers with fish. It goes very well with flounder.

Gil Fales

Fry it!!

Half corn meal, half Panko bread crumbs. Season with pepper AND … Tony Cachere’s.

Nuff said!!

Rob

Take trout, remove hook, and carefully put them back in the water for a tastier fish to eat.

Catch tastier fish and cook it any way you’d like.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

groupershooter wrote: Take trout, remove hook, and carefully put them back in the water for a tastier fish to eat.

Catch tastier fish and cook it any way you’d like.

Somewhere in the couse of evolution: G’shooter is in the drum family?

I actually can agree. And the member who asked me about it though that trout: “just a little gamey’. It is some edible meat but I will tell you: I can’t eat it as often as I would other fish. More extravagant recipes help. But I literally can only eat it a certain amount: Which is meaningful, anyone who sees me seeing how fat I am.

try bleeding them out before you put them in the cooler. great recipes btw. i’ll be vulturing some of those.

Grandoug
    Grandoug
    Participant

This recipe accomplishes two things
    1) Turns a trout into a tasty meal
    2) Makes sure you don’t leave any shrimp in the baitwell

Prep the trout into filets by whatever method you prefer, then season with melted butter and I like Prudhommes seafood seasoning, but Old Bay works well also.

Prep the shrimp by removing the heads and shells. Rinse and season with whatever you used above.

quarter a couple of lemons, and open the capers.

Saute the trout in butter for about two minutes per side, and remove to a warm plate. Now put the seasoned shrimp in the same saute pan and saute with some chopped garlic and capers until the shrimp turn pink. Put the shrimp on top of the trout, and add a splash of white wine to deglaze the pan. It should reduce slightly and become a sauce. Pour this over the trout and shrimp, and now you have trout with shrimp ettoufee!!! Need garlic bread for wiping the plate.

Rich Riesenberger
    Participant

I like to cut them into fingers bread with corn meal and panko fry them in peanut oil in a cast iron skillet and use them for fish taco’s.

Another option is mash some fresh garlic into melted butter coat them well put them in a fish basket and grill them.

However you choose to prepare your Trout or any bitter to the taste fish like Salmon, Trout and Bass, I have a topping that is just way too simple to make but will really surprise you how the combination tastes of fish.
    …………………………..
    Ingredients for the Basic Sauce:
    Four/Five parts real Mayonnaise
    One part plain yellow Mustard
    One part Real-lemon Juice
    …………………………..

Blend the components. You may adjust the ratio of Mustard to Mayonnaise to tweak the taste to your liking. Serve the fish with this quick sauce spread lightly over it, drizzled over or as a side for dipping.. Similar as to how you would serve Tartar Sauce. This taste is nothing like that of tartar sauce. It actually takes the bitter bite off your fish. If you are as I was, I would have never believed just how much this simple sauce can improve the taste of Fish. (Feed-back please) … LL

mark hartley
    mark hartley
    Participant

I think trout is an excellent tasting fish myself, it’s not my favorite textured fish, but delicious none the less.

It’s about in the middle of my delicious~edibility list.

1. Tuna
    2. Pompano / Permit
    3. Snapper
    3a. Flounder
    4. Wahoo / Swordfish
    5. Triple Tail / Snook
    6. Grouper
    7. Cobia / Salmon
    8. Trout
    9. Redfish
    10. Kingfish
    11. Amberjack
    12. Mullet
    13a. Grunts
    14. Mackerel
    15. Catfish / Talapia
    16. Bonita

25. Sting Ray

This list is subject to re-arangement obviously based on the source and freshness.

Hey Liveliner Trout, Salmon, and Bass are bitter tasting to you?
    I think they are “sweet” and need lemon for balance, like your sauce has.

It sounds good.

Tarponator
    Tarponator
    Participant

My recipe for trout is to let them go. Don’t like their taste at all…Mike

p.s. Mark, I would move Cobia much higher in my list. They are among my favorite fish to eat.

Aaron

Stunned to see that folks don’t like trout — it’s a favorite for us. This one is a bit complex but has become the “go to” in our house. I offer you crispy skin trout with a lime buerre blanc.

First the fish — prepare it just like Gordon Ramsey does salmon, skin on, scales off, scored and pan fried with a bit of high smoke point oil like grape seed. Seasoned only with salt and pepper. For reference his salmon video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0g_1Ei5kog&feature=related

Second, a buerre blanc — chop up a shallot, combine with 1/4 cup white wine vinegar and a dry white wine. Reduce to nearly dry and whisk in 3/4 of a stick to a stick of butter. The butter will emulsify and thicken to a sauce like consistency. Juice a lime into the sauce and top the fish.

It’s WAY less challenging than it looks and so worth it.

Dawn Knaebel

I always soak my trout in milk with lots of hot sauce in it, that way any blood line or gamey-ness is gone. Then I dry them off, into the egg wash, flour that has lots of old bay, garlic salt and a touch of cayenee pepper in it and then back to the egg, once more through the flour dredge and then I fry it in a cast iron skillet. I also make hushpuppies with diced jalapenos in them to go with the meal and some green beans that have a little fatback in them. YUM!

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Tarpon70 wrote:
    p.s. Mark, I would move Cobia much higher in my list. They are among my favorite fish to eat.

I would move cobia up and grouper way down. Especially if it is red grouper.
    Otherwise fairly similar to my own list. I probably would have left mullet off completely.

A couple of more that I didn’t see make the cut? Squirrelfish. Sheepshead. Whiting. Silver trout. Porgies.

Back on the topic of trout: Anyone every try it this way
    Put the fillets in aluminum foil and throw in a bunch of vegetables, whatever your favorite spices and some marinade. I like Mykoto (Japenese Ginger dressing, you can find it in the refridgerated dressing section at Publix). Oven or grill and get it to boiling. It doesn’t firm up the meat but it is still some good eating.

I did it once with some shrimp and crab meat and just got it all cooking together.

For vegetables I threw in chopped onions, green peppers, green chilis and squash.

anglingarchitect wrote: I think trout is an excellent tasting fish myself, it’s not my favorite textured fish, but delicious none the less.
    <<< ▬ >>>
    Hey Liveliner Trout, Salmon, and Bass are bitter tasting to you?
    I think they are “sweet” and need lemon for balance, like your sauce has.

It sounds good.

Give it a try…

Joe Saunders
    Participant

Some of these recipes sound really great; since I am still in Maine for a few more months, I’ll be trying some of them on brook trout, rainbows and maybe a nice landlocked salmon. To reduce the gameyness, I always gut the fish on the water and then put it on ice (we don’t have gators in our freshwater!!).

What this thread (and a few others) desperately needs is a “print this thread” option/command — hint, hint.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

gunner wrote: Some of these recipes sound really great; since I am still in Maine for a few more months, I’ll be trying some of them on brook trout, rainbows and maybe a nice landlocked salmon.

What this thread (and a few others) desperately needs is a “print this thread” option/command — hint, hint.

I’ll ask the Fiddler to look into it. The recipe I mentioned with all the vegetables in the aluminum foil: That came from doing it with freshwater trout when I was a kid. We also put cut up slices of lemon in there too.

Tarponator
    Tarponator
    Participant

LivelyBaits wrote: [QUOTE=Tarpon70]

I would move cobia up and grouper way down. Especially if it is red grouper.
    I agree. Frankly, I don’t understand why people love grouper so much, outside of its availability. I’d take snapper, cobia, snook, even flounder before any type of grouper (outside of some deepwater species or scamp).

Also, wahoo is among the best fish I’ve ever tasted — much different from swordfish or marlin, which I don’t particularly care for.

I’d also put seabass high on the list.

If you have to deep fry or otherwise hide the taste of fish (i.e. blacken or marinade), you’re eating the wrong kind of fish — I prefer my fish plain….with a little pepper a little salt and either grilled or cooked with a touch of oil or butter in a skillet. I’ve also done Neil’s recipe with veggies and lemon in tin foil — comes out great.

But that’s just me, and clearly others have different tastes.

mark hartley
    mark hartley
    Participant

You guys may be right perhaps Cobia should be moved up. Wahoo is fantastic but I haven’t caught or eaten one in years so it’s memory has faded from my taste buds. I forgot a many more Sheepshead, Triggerfish, Sea Bass, Dolphin, etc,etc.

Never had squirrel fish or lizard fish though the meat looks good.

Trout ala Russa is served in many places in Tampa, pan fried, little beurre blanc, some capers, some chopped egg, Mmmmm.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Squirrelfish are very good. I have not tried lizardfish. I don’t think I will.

Vermillion snapper I always liked not just because they’re good, I thought they were easy to carve up.

Triggerfish is another one that’s good.

Capers are great on pretty much any fish.

Trout I’ll have to try some of these other ways. I do not think it is an offensive taste. I know I don’t like to eat them as often as I would some of the others.

If you have Delicious fish, What is the #1 side dish with fish??? … Slaw!
    I came up with this blend and I bet that if you try it, it will become the ONLY way you will like it from now on. Trust me or try it and you will see I am not blowing smoke.

For every four ounces of slaw mix (approximately two cups) use one tablespoon of each ingredient. The store bought prepared bags of slaw mix come in packs divisible by four ounces. For example sixteen ounces of slaw mix requires four table spoons of each ingredient. I prefer cutting my own fresh slaw mix, however either way is fine.

For each four ounces of slaw mix, blend together the following;

one tablespoon of granulated sugar

one tablespoon of Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing (Absolutely NO Substitutes here)

One Heaping tablespoon (but not a Glob) of Hellman’s Real mayonnaise. Any REAL mayonnaise may work as long as it isn’t salad spread.

Blend the ingredients together until creamy and then mix it into the slaw mix. Keep out a small amount of the slaw mix to add later in the event that you make the slaw a little too wet. Chill in the refrigerator prior to serving.

Rob

Liveliner wrote: If you have Delicious fish, What is the #1 side dish with fish??? … Slaw!
    I came up with this blend and I bet that if you try it, it will become the ONLY way you will like it from now on. Trust me or try it and you will see I am not blowing smoke.

For every four ounces of slaw mix (approximately two cups) use one tablespoon of each ingredient. The store bought prepared bags of slaw mix come in packs divisible by four ounces. For example sixteen ounces of slaw mix requires four table spoons of each ingredient. I prefer cutting my own fresh slaw mix, however either way is fine.

For each four ounces of slaw mix, blend together the following;

one tablespoon of granulated sugar

one tablespoon of Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing (Absolutely NO Substitutes here)

One Heaping tablespoon (but not a Glob) of Hellman’s Real mayonnaise. Any REAL mayonnaise may work as long as it isn’t salad spread.

Blend the ingredients together until creamy and then mix it into the slaw mix. Keep out a small amount of the slaw mix to add later in the event that you make the slaw a little too wet. Chill in the refrigerator prior to serving.

I hate coleslaw but it sounds like you’ve got Promanti Bros recipe which calls for some pastrami, corned beef, french fries all between two pieces of marble rye with a nice fat stack of your recipe smothered in the middle. My mouth is watering now.

I’ll give it a whirl promanti makes some good slaw.

I am in Choo-Choo Town and I swear I made that receipt myself .. Never heard of the place you mentioned… but it seems they have good tastes…

You just described one heck of a Samige…

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Got home from my charter at about 9:15 tonight. I decided to have a fillet of trout for dinner. New trial. I got some olive oil hot on the stove top. I put heavy cayenne pepper on one side and garlic salt on the other. Cooked it almost too long on each side (put out a little smoke actually).

I would do it again. Not too many times I’ve been able to pick up a trout fillet like a slice of pizza.

ffrodelgnim

mix storebrand cornbread mixture with old bay. about 60% cornbread and 40% OB.

coat fish in egg wash or just olive oil (something to get batter to stick)

pan fry in skillet or deep fry if you prefer.

cornbread turns sweet and is truly delicious mixed with spices from old bay

Tom

ffrodelgnim wrote:

mix storebrand cornbread mixture with old bay. about 60% cornbread and 40% OB.

coat fish in egg wash or just olive oil (something to get batter to stick)

pan fry in skillet or deep fry if you prefer.

cornbread turns sweet and is truly delicious mixed with spices from old bay

OMG – do you buy Old Bay by the pound?????

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Trout for dinner tomorrow night. The person who caught it will set the cooking recipe. I have this photo to share from today. Dave caught two big fat keepers on topwater lures. I thought this shot was pretty creative:

That’s the photo of Dave and one of his fish behind the meal his wife made out of that fish.

pamela wirth

what an original idea.

stephen
    Participant

I am surprised at so many people saying trout have an “Off” flavor.
    I really like them, the texture is a bit weak.
    I keep my trout on ice for atleast 12 hrs whole.
    Then scale and fillet. leave skin on and deep fry with cornmeal or McCormicks fish fry. Slap fillet on a Potato roll ,Romain lettuce, tangy ranch dressing and butter pickles.
    Side with homemade cole slaw.. Yummy!

stephen
    Participant

Lively baits.. My gosh that looks delicious !!

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Dave went back out on his own and caught a great upper-slot dinner trout. He and his wife like to eat fish so they are both very happy he sharpened his skills.

Does anyone have ways that take the “soggy” out of the final meal of trout? A lid on the pan on the stove top? Anything?

I don’t use a deep fryer myself. I was curious is anyone has any crisping ideas.

mark hartley
    mark hartley
    Participant

no lid that traps the moisture and steams it.
    I can get crunch pan frying, or deep frying with Panco.

LivelyBaits wrote:

Dave went back out on his own and caught a great upper-slot dinner trout. He and his wife like to eat fish so they are both very happy he sharpened his skills.

Does anyone have ways that take the “soggy” out of the final meal of trout? A lid on the pan on the stove top? Anything?

I don’t use a deep fryer myself. I was curious is anyone has any crisping ideas.

I have not seen it mentioned in this thread, and I will not relate all details of the special spices I use but to answer your question regarding soggy fish. I have a method that “Awesomeizes ” your Catch. On my outdoor grill, I have three oval cast-iron platters that fit the grill area perfectly. Lightly add EVO to the preheated Cast-iron. Coat the Fish fillets in evo and spices of your choice. Place the fillets on the hot platters and watch until the first side begins to crisp at the thin outer edges of the fillets. Flip ONLY one time. Side two will cook very fast, The fish is basically done at the turn, Turning will allow the top side to flavor and to seal the juices. The fish is pretty dry in this method and absorb no oil that would cause it to become Soggy, As a mater of fact the last pieces may have a tendency to start to dry out. My special spices are like a very mild Blackening spice blend that I created.. If anyone wants the spice blend, I will post details.

Someone needs to try the slaw mix I posted above and give feedback.. It will change your eating habits… I tell you.. if you like slaw you will love this blend… Or I will kiss your next fish…

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Another great dinner topic.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Lots of good trout recipe ideas here.

Since my last response here I have made more fish spread with trout than anything.     I’ve gone to using a lot of Panko when I’m cooking fish.    Trout included.    I have also started doing some “foil fish”.    With that I put in a bunch of vegetables.  Onions, peppers, even potatos.     Butter.     Let the fish boil in the foil.   The vegetables cook.    Different flavors go into the fish.   It’s pretty good.

Panko baked, a common way I do any fillet of fish.    It’s healthy.   I like the panko crust.

The trout fishing in Tampa Bay is outstanding.   Literally the best I have ever seen.     My input on trout regulations was actually processed this time.   The first time in the history of the FWC I got a detailed response talking about my proposals.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.