Shimano Spheros SW 6000 teardown/upgrade

Home Forums Tackle Reviews Shimano Spheros SW 6000 teardown/upgrade

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Hook I 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author
    aquaholik
    aquaholik
    Participant

I needed a little more power than my Stradic 4000 but didn’t want to step up to a 22 oz reel. The Spheros 6000 SW weighs exactly 17 oz and it balances quite well with the Loomis Pro Blue. I didn’t want to spend $450+ for the Twinpower SW to save 2.5 oz since I won’t be throwing artificial with this reel. This will be another inshore snapper rod here in the Tampa Bay area. I needed the low gear ratio so no Saragosa SW option for me since the PG option in the Saragosa does not start until the 8000 size.
    Comparison to the Stradic FK 4000:

I read Alan Hawk’s review on the Spheros SW but he normally reviews the larger reel. I was curious to see if the smaller one is as well sealed as the bigger version.
    First the bad news with the drag clicker/ratchet:

Yep, similar to the Sustain FG so it might not stand up to well if you are targeting Tarpon with that but it’s a cheap part replacement and only requires the removal of the spool.
    Main shaft seal:

There is also a seal underneath the spool like the 20000 SW (not shown).
    ARB clutch cap, just like the 20000 SW:

The three screws also has the rubber seal underneath it. Removing the ARB clutch cap and you see the seal but it’s not double lipped like the 20000 SW:

Removing the friction ring reveals the other two screws that must be removed to break apart the side plates. So five screws total:

Reel stem side of side plate has the bearing to support the main drive gear. Note the rubber seal:

The gearbox side that holds the locomotive gear unfortunately and expectedly holds a plastic bushing instead. The reason for the tear down and upgrade.

Unfortunately, an almost completely tear down is required to replace that plastic bushing.
    There is also a seal underneath the white plastic bushing.

Bushing replaced with bearing:

Bearing size is 8x14x4

The drag stack that is similar to carbontex like most SW Shimano:

So, yes, the smaller one is sealed as well as the larger one that Alan reviewed.
    Fairly straight forward disassembly with no worm gear and reduction gear to deal with.

barrynfla
    barrynfla
    Participant

It’s very obvious that you know what you’re doing, Lee.  Fine job!

aquaholik
    aquaholik
    Participant

Doing my best to add life to this site Barry.

delta9
    delta9
    Participant

Wow, seems like a lot of work to replace that bushing.  Unless you just like breaking things apart and re-assembling them!  Great detail on the breakdown though.

How is the difference in the reel once that bushing is replaced with a bearing?

aquaholik
    aquaholik
    Participant

I’ll never know since the reel is brand new when I did the bearing swap 🙂

Steve Totten
    Steve Totten
    Participant

Lee what would be the difference in price to buy the upgraded reel instead of buying a $200 reel then upgrading it before using it?  Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me….

aquaholik
    aquaholik
    Participant

$70 for $3 bearing. But more importantly the Spheros has the PG low gear ratio that I specifically need.

This reel makes a lot of sense. Same sealing as a $900 Stella SW at less than $200.

Hook I
    Participant

Love this reel , great thread , thanks for sharing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.