The month of March

Home Forums Your Fishing Reports The month of March

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ntaylor ntaylor 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Came in like a freight train.    Why is it almost 90 degrees?   Anyway, out every day.    Today in some lousy wind.   First cast of the day, 18 inch trout.     A good dozen large fish

The story of the week.   Easy.  The jacks are out of the rivers.    Two days ago it had to be four acres of jacks.   Literally I have never seen this many at once.     They were mostly 5 to 7 pounders.      With jacks, as quickly as they’re there, they’re gone.    We had a solid ten minutes on them, following them, until they disappeared

Flounder.  Not yet.

Redfish, I saw the most redfish I have seen in this one specific location in the last four years.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Today, postponed because of the wind forecast (fly fishing).   Is it just me or is the wind not really blowing?  Forecast was for close to 30.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Right back out:  HIGH wind.    It was lousy.  But the fishing was pretty good.    I’m torched.

Pompano, flounder and trout.     Good fish.    Wind doesn’t matter.   If you didn’t go because of wind, you missed out.

delta9
    delta9
    Participant

When will this wind stop!?!?  Been blowin 25+ since Friday.

Very few guys braved the ocean this past weekend with 10 foot seas at like 3-4 seconds, but those that did were rewarded.  Some guys I know went 11/19 on sailfish Saturday.

Pompano fishing in the surf has been pretty good though.  Going to try to get some on jigs for dinner this week.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Tomorrow is the last day of it.    The next six days after that actually look pretty good.

Another long day in the wind.   Fishing was poor overall:  Except for 20 minutes.   That 20 minutes made this guy’s day.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Oh, how it is:  Not in the 35 mile per hour winds.   Sweet God how nice.

fishing was actually better in the wind.   Wasn’t BAD today but on an improving tide and less wind, you would have thought it would have been better.    maybe we were in the wrong spot?

So, the mackerel are in,    We caught them every trip this week.

Pompano:   I’ve heard there might be an opportunity.  In our efforts:   We caught mackerel.

It is spring.    For sure, like late spring.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Back to the “right spot.”    Insane action on big trout.    Caught small ones for the first time this year too.   But it was 40 trout over 16 inches.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

The wind forecasters get an A+ today.   It was nasty at the start.   We had to go to Plan B.    The wind let up an hour and a half later and we got to where I intended to go.  The action, as good as I predicted it would be.    Two sizzling hookups:  Cobia.     Big trout again today.    Dead calm when we finished.   Forecast looks great for a couple of days.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Big fish early.  Big fish often.  Late morning was kind of a drag.    Giant school of jacks crashed it.    Probably no fish under 7 pounds

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

A slow start for sure.   I told them it would pick up.   It did.    Nothing spectacular but a solid bite.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

The last two days, some of the best fishing so far in 2017.     Between yesterday and today over 50 trout over 16 inches.   Cobia.  Bluefish.  Mackerel.  Redfish.

Flounder have indicated that they are moving back in.   There will be way more of them but we had a solid outing for them.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

These fish will make you mad.    We had an epic day several days ago.    Wild bite.  Big fish.

Yesterday.    It just wasn’t that good.   They didn’t bite until noon.   And then, they weren’t the bigger fish.   Just one of those days.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Too much to do.   Zero time on the internet.     So much time in the sun.   So many casts made.     This.  This is definitely the busy season.

A four day charter.     Day four is tomorrow.    It has been a massacre every, single, day.    It took a while on day 2 but it happened.  The other two days, what a pity for those poor fish.

Gorilla snot.  In March?    Bad and most certainly to get worse.

Easy to catch a lot of big trout.   Bluefish caught every day.    Flounder are back in better but not at peak.    Spanish mackerel are closing in on peak.   We caught fifty of them the other day.

Pompano:   Finally hit them where I go.     Didn’t get a bunch of them but we got them and they were impressive in size.

2017 is shaping up NICE.     More pressure on our fishery all the time but it seems to adapt.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

march winds down.  Two trips left.    Just finished seven in a row.      Very good trips, all of them.     John did four days.   We worked in a variety.     One of those things, if I could take it back. I would have put my rod in a holder and just watched.    I caught three of his fish, one the biggest snook I have seen since 2009.    John caught two snook.  About ten eaches each.   Trout were easy.    He caught ten species on one day (that was a jigging day).

Things look good heading toward April.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

march winds down.  Two trips left.    Just finished seven in a row.      Very good trips, all of them.     John did four days.   We worked in a variety.     One of those things, if I could take it back. I would have put my rod in a holder and just watched.    I caught three of his fish, one the biggest snook I have seen since 2009.    John caught two snook.  About ten eaches each.   Trout were easy.    He caught ten species on one day (that was a jigging day).

Things look good heading toward April.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

The last two trips, honestly, weren’t very good.    Now a little time off after 11 straight:  I am looking forward to the next cycle.   The busy season:  Busy up until and even after the Captain Mel Classic.

I believe this will be an excellent month ahead.

On to April!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.